Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The sweet face of Jesus

Two weeks ago we started fostering a little baby girl, eight weeks old. She came to us when the mother and father voluntarily placed her through DCF for 90 days. I don't want to say anything that might compromise the privacy of the family, but the parents are young, and drugs coupled with domestic violence is involved.

So here we are, two dogs, three kids and a newborn, my husband works two jobs, trying to get through the days of exhaustion and craziness. It's exhausting. And exhilarating. And scary.

I certainly never planned on being a foster mom. I'm doing it because I was asked to do it. I get a little uncomfortable with some of the comments I get "You are so good to do this." "What an angel you are." Actually, I'm neither. I just happen to be a stay at home mom who can take care of a baby.

What really makes me think, though, is the common theme that it will be really hard to give her back to her parents. It's true, it will be really hard. But she doesn't belong to me, any more than my own children do. They are loaned to me by God, and my job is to give them back to Him. As Catholics, we believe our job as parents is to get our children's souls into heaven.

This little baby, I am sure, will break my heart. I love her as my own biological child, and II feel a unique responsibility to care for her - her mother has entrusted her to my care, but above this, I believe God has asked us to take care of this child. I don't know if she will stay with us, or go home tomorrow, but I know that I cannot close off my heart to her because she is only here temporarily.  

Mother Teresa said that Jesus came to her in the distressing disguise of the most poor, the most unwanted, the most diseased. She did what she did, as do all of the Missionaries of Charity, out of love for Jesus. She always said she was not a social worker - she was a bride of Christ, doing God's will and seeing Jesus in every person.

Jesus has come to me as a helpless, vulnerable baby. He is telling me I am worthy of His love. I am worthy to care for Him. What if I said no? I am too busy, too tired, too frightened...What would I say to Him when I meet Him face to face? I have to give my all, and when my all doesn't seem up to the task, I ask Him for strength and He gives it to me.

How is Jesus coming to you today? How will you answer His call?                                                                                                                                            sus

1 comment:

  1. WOW, Catherine, how beautiful! Thank you for saying yes to Jesus (and this child)...blessings to you always!

    ReplyDelete